NITR unveils two prong approach to performing in confectionery+
Nestlé International Travel Retail (NITR) has developed plans to focus on the fundamentals central to recovery and “delight” consumers in 2022.
“Although traffic is still well down on 2019, passenger traffic will recover and we are already seeing increases in footfall and average spend per head where consumers are able to celebrate their freedom.
“We foresee growth accelerating through 2022 but, mindful of ever-increasing ecommerce, our biggest challenge remains ‘how do we continue to drive footfall and spend?’. The answer lies in delighting consumers with a portfolio cognizant of what’s important to them – and in particular this includes sustainable offerings and self-treat products,” says Stewart Dryburgh, General Manager, NITR.
However, Dryburgh points out that the future will consist of numerous obstacles such as the inconsistency of a global vaccine rollout and the significant cost pressures on raw materials, packaging and transport. With this in mind, NITR is committed to GTR and the opportunities within the industry – specifically regarding confectionery and the wider food and beverage category.
“Our strategy will drive growth by providing traveling consumers with a compelling proposition that underlines the uniqueness of the travel retail environment both in airports and other sub-channels,” he adds.
Two prong approach
Within the travel retail environment, NITR has identified three fundamental routes to delighting its customers.
- Growing trusted brands – driving premiumization, introducing relevant and exclusive new products
- Leading with regeneration – via its Nestlé Cocoa Plan and Nescafé Plans, introduction of 100% recyclable or reusable packaging by 2025 and reduction of greenhouse emissions toward our goal of net-zero
- Engaging consumers – via enhanced in-store activations and digital content
With a focus on ensuring supply, executing the right range for the right location and making financially prudent investment, the above routes are reinforced and made possible – and viable.
NITR’s core global confectionery brands: KITKAT, SMARTIES and NESTLÉ SWISS continue to underpin this overall strategy, along with regional emphasis on AFTER EIGHT. As part of its non-confectionery offer, the spotlight on NESCAFÉ will continue, following impressive growth in the last couple of years. Additionally, new emphasis will be placed on its premium infant formula range, Illuma, and milk powder, Nido.
- In 2022, KITKAT’s “Live Your Break” campaign will be enhanced via digital communication to emphasizethe iconic brand’s positioning in GTR>
- KITKAT Senses Tabletswill be joined by a new Roasted Almond variety from May 2022, offering 10 fingers of the classic crispy wafer, enrobed in smooth milk chocolate and crunchy roasted almond pieces
- Specifically targeting non-airport channels, KITKAT Pops will be introduced in two new flavors:Hazelnut & Cocoa Nibs and Peanut Corn (exclusive to TR)
- This year, SMARTIES became the first global confectionery brand to switch to recyclable paper packaging
- Building on its “Learn Through Play” principles, the SMARTIES sustainable range will expand with a new GTR exclusive Activity Kit, which features a fun-filled book of puzzles, stickers & activities, 8 colored pencils and a multi-pack of four SMARTIES Hexatubes
- An optimized portfolio focuses on tablets for this 100% TR exclusive brand
- With a greater emphasis on the popular and highly indulgent 170-g tablets, as well as 300-g tablets and chunks bags, NESTLÉ SWISS targets consumers looking to purchase this authentically Swiss premium chocolate
- Capitalizing on the growing popularity of cocktails, NITR is introducing a new Mojito & Mint limited-edition flavor of AFTER EIGHT
- Designed to appeal to younger adults, this product builds a new audience for this post-dinner favorite
Delighting consumers with non-confectionery
- Despite the impact of COVID-19, with a further YOY increase recorded in 2020, NESCAFÉ continues to experience impressive growth
- This brand will introduce two NESCAFÉ GOLD BLEND Roastery Selection flavor profiles: Rich & Intense and Smooth & Delicate – offered in 100% plastic-free 95-g packaging
- With a strong following based in China, Wyeth’s Super Premium infant formula range targets uncompromising and pioneering mothers
- This brand will focus on retail opportunities in Asia-Pacific and the Middle East
- This globally trusted brand, available in more than 50 countries, will be offered as a complete portfolio of products to address the nutritional wants and needs of growing children and families – supported by appealing in-store point of sale