PRGTR conducts research to understand the wants & needs of travelers across the globe
The holiday season is traditionally the time of year when thousands of travelers around the world make trips to visit friends and family across the globe. With this high volume of traffic through airports and other travel retail areas, it is important that businesses operating within the sector understand the needs & motivations of these travelers in order to best serve them in duty free spaces. As a result Pernod Ricard Global Travel Retail (PRGTR) conducts research to ensure that regional and cultural nuances are reflected in the products offered.
In addition to birthdays, gifting is one of the largest shopping missions centered on Christmas and the Chinese New Year. Although this agenda is particularly common amongst Asian nationalities (Chinese & Taiwanese) there is significant geographical differentiation when it comes to their wants and needs. The following is a summary of the PRGTR’s research:
- Travelers from Hong Kong, China, Japan, Russia and Germany are most likely to purchase gifts for their friends
- Travelers from Asian Pacific countries, as well as those from Spain, France, South America and South Africa are most likely to purchase gifts for their family
- Travelers from Taiwan, Japan, India and South Korea are most likely to purchase gifts for their colleagues
Along with the “treat yourself” mentality, PRGTR knows that purchasing a gift for friends, family or colleagues is a major driver to enter retail outlets wihtin the duty free space. When it comes to selecting the choice of brand and the value of each gift, other driving factors include the recipient, the giver profile, the occasion and the type of relationship between the traveler and the recipient.
- Travelers are more likely to reach a sale of a higher price point if the recipient is close to them
- Travelers who are not as well versed in the category are more likely to base decision-making on brand names and product aesthetics (as opposed to the quality of the liquid)
Anuj Roy, Startegy & Insights Director, Pernod Ricard Global Travel Retail, states: “PRGTR and its brands focus on curating travel retail products that make the ideal gift, no matter the occasion, catering for different consumer buying behaviors worldwide.
Recognizing that these habits are constantly evolving, it is important to conduct research in order to keep abreast of the latest trends and ensure our products are relevant and exciting for travelers, in turn ensuring that any product can be suitable for personal use or for gifting”.
Within its portfolio, PRGTR focus on a range of products perfect for gifting, in particular Martell’s Cordon Bleu limited-edition design collaboration with Mathias Kiss, contemporary artist, landed in time for the holiday season and is still available across the globe.