Duty Free World Council is born at IAADFS
While it has been in discussion for many months, the Duty Free World Council (DFWC) met for the first time during IAADFS in Orlando, Florida, and has elected its board and executive committee. Elected President is European Travel Retail Confederation Vice-President Frank O’Connell. DFWC Vice Presidents are International Association of Airport Duty Free Stores (IAADFS) President Alberto “Pancho” Motta, and Tax Free World Association (TFWA) President Erik Juul-Mortensen.
“We will have three to four meetings a year and try to have them in all of the major shows that we have — here, Cannes, Singapore, maybe Macau, and see how we go forward,” Motta said.
Council objectives include:
- DFWC will represent, protect, and promote the global duty free and travel retail industry by providing appropriate support to all retail industry associations when and where relevant
- Be responsible for the development and coordination of industry policy, and provide a voice for the global industry where relevant and required
- Act as facilitator and coordinator by providing appropriate support for engagement at a global level
- Help enhance the awareness, image, and importance of the industry outside of the industry
- Provide an industry information center, and other services and support as the board sees fit