Rituals starts 2022 sustainably, with B Corp Certification
Rituals Cosmetics has announced its certification as a B Corporation. This marks a significant step in the company’s stated goal towards a more purpose-driven business model with ambitious sustainability goals.
With this certification the company joins a growing movement of established companies building a more inclusive, equitable, regenerative economy while meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance. Currently, there are over 4,000 B Corps in 153 industries and 77 countries.
Raymond Cloosterman, Rituals Owner & Founder, comments: "I'm beyond proud to have earned the B Corp Certification as a brand that truly fosters a sustainable future. At Rituals we strive to keep doing more and going further for people and planet, so we are truly honoured to join a global movement of responsible organisations that want to accelerate progress on the shared challenges we face."
Melvin Broekaart, Rituals Director Global Travel Retail, adds: "Achieving B Corp status, the gold standard of environmental and social certification, proves that we at Rituals are serious about our responsibilities as a global wellbeing brand. Travelling consumers are actively seeking brands with proven sustainability credentials and we are hugely proud to join a select few B Corp certified brands in travel retail that are committed to driving a sustainable future for our industry."
Hubertine Roessingh, Executive Director of B Lab Benelux, states: "We are thrilled to welcome Rituals to the B Corp community at this pivotal time, where the world needs more companies that use their business as a force for good. Rituals' commitment to continuous improvement and determination for long lasting value for their communities, workers, suppliers, environment, and customers is well reflected in their overall score on the B Impact Assessment. We congratulate Rituals and we look forward to seeing them inspire other companies to follow suit and unite with B Corp beauty brands in their desire to make a difference!''
Below are Rituals' stated pillars to guide the company through its transformation.
Clean, Conscious & Caring*
'Clean' is all about trusted quality products that are carefully formulated with ingredients of natural origin, 'Conscious' focuses on making sustainable choices in packaging and in business generally and the 'Caring' pillar supports and develops programs which contribute to soulful societies.
The following actions have been implemented under each pillar:
• 70% of Rituals products contain more than 90% of natural origin ingredients
• All products are evaluated with Rituals' Clean & Conscious tool on circularity, biodegradability, CO2 footprint and natural origin
• All products are cleanly formulated and dermatologically tested to ensure they are efficacious and safe for the skin
• For every collection, Rituals offers refill options for body creams, hand wash, fragrance sticks, car perfume and skin care. Using a body cream refill saves up to 70% on CO2, 65% on energy and 45% on water. Rituals has also shifted most of its PET packaging to recycled plastics
• 95% of products are produced in Europe. Rituals only works with responsible suppliers and actively monitors and encourages suppliers to continuously improve their social and environmental performance
• All of Rituals' own stores and offices run on green electricity and energy saving LED lights. Water-saving appliances are used in stores.
• Rituals has proudly supported social initiatives including Tiny Miracles, a charity that works with impoverished women in Mumbai, since 2011. Rituals also founded SuperChill, a foundation which brings mindfulness to children at school
• The company's Diversity & Inclusion board reflects Rituals' culture, sets up programs and aims to reach gender balance - currently 60/40% - in senior management (International MT) by 2023
• All head office employees contribute to at least one Karma Day every year - more than 7,500 hours volunteering time
Niki Schilling, Director of Innovation & Sustainability at Rituals Cosmetics states: "Being certified as a B Corp officially recognizes our commitment and efforts towards sustainable wellbeing. This mission is foremost on our minds, it's a continuous journey that never ends, the clean, conscious & caring pillars form a robust foundation for that."
*Clean, Conscious & Caring consumer page on RITUALS.com: Rituals Cares.
The B Corp Certification offers a valuable 360-degree framework of further improvement opportunities.
Looking ahead, Rituals' main goals** are:
• In 2022, Rituals will aim to refine its Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions targets under Scope 1 (direct emissions), Scope 2 (indirect energy-related emissions) and Scope 3 (all indirect emissions of the company's value chain) to align with the scale of reductions required by The Paris Climate Agreement, leading the brand to Net-Zero: make extensive carbon reductions as soon as possible, and then neutralize the residual emissions left
• By 2023, all formulas will be made of at least 90% natural origin ingredients
• By 2025, all products and packaging will be refillable, recyclable and/or made from recycled materials
• By 2025, the average product assessment score on the Clean & Conscious tool, Rituals' product evaluation tool, will increase from 63+ to 80+.
**Find out more about Rituals Cosmetics' Sustainability goals, efforts and the Clean & Conscious tool: Rituals Sustainability Report